Paul Lockington is a business development adviser to a select group of growing companies in the Sporting Goods and Fitness Industries. From over 35 years of experience, Paul has extensive hands-on technical knowledge of human locomotion and its effects on the human condition.
With an academic background in Exercise Physiology and coaching qualifications with the NSCA, Paul understands the complexity of connectivity as well as the business philosophies and customer needs in both the fitness and wellness worlds. His broad network of contacts provides him with a unique perspective into the problems of his clients and how to solve them.
Listen To Episode 006 As Paul Uncovers
- How can operators, owners, and smart trainers capitalize on new technology with a new mindset
- How to use near field technology on member key fobs to save cost on heating and power in clubs
- How sensor technology can be used to manage retention and recruitment in clubs
- What is the impact of standardizing wireless devices on fitness and in clubs
- What do the interoperability standards mean for fitness devices in 2017
- Why wireless was first adopted by the nordic skiers and cycling industry early on in history
- Why BLE (bluetooth) was invented to solve a connectivity issue in cell phones, fitness, and globally to remove wires from everyday devices
- The difference between ANT (radio protocol) and ANT+ (the alliance)
- How crowded group fitness environments can benefit from the ANT technology
- What types of sensor technology are making the largest impact for the future of fitness
- Why being able to correlate heart rate with power output via accelerated technology is optimal
- How smart band-aids and skin sensor technology is being used to track hydration for athletes
- Why heart rate accuracy measured at the wrist may or may not be optimal for coaching
- What are the roadblocks and exciting opportunities for sensor technology in fitness
- Paul's featured contribution in the 2017 FIT-C Tech Trends Report
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- To the average consumer, the heart rate monitor is an innovative and exciting tool, especially when it's removed from the chest and now being used at the wrist due to technology advancement in optical sensors that has risen to be commercially viable.
- Successful club owners and operators in the next 2 years must be educated and informed to avoid being left behind the growth curve. The standardization and interoperability of wireless tech and wearables with sensors that are connected to the cloud will meet the needs for the health club members of today and the future by providing a truly seamless fitness experience.
- It comes down to a financial bottom line—if you don’t invest in technology, you have very little capability of communicating with your members, and you have very little capability of communicating with the equipment that you’re using in the clubs.
Power Quotes From Paul
"Many product suppliers for health clubs are waiting for technology to stabilize, but the truth is, it's not going to stabilize. The technology and innovation curve is growing steeply and it's not going to slow down." - Paul Lockington on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"New sensor technologies for group fitness mirrors the serious understanding that group fitness is a moneymaker for clubs. If you don't have group fitness, cycling, TRX, or Orange Theory typed programs, you're missing out on what's making people money." - Paul Lockington on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From Paul
- The Apple Watch Is the Most Accurate Wrist Wearable
- Strategic Technology Investment Can Yield Cost-savings for Health Clubs
- 245 million wearable devices will be sold in 2019
- Bluetooth Low Energy
- ANT (Network)
- 2016 ANT+ Symposium
- What is ANT+?
- Nearfield Technology
- Orange Theory Fitness: New Heart Rate Technology
- HexoSkin wearable technology embedded in clothing
- DEXCOM Glucose monitoring technology
- HealBe by GoBe app and device controversy
- CALIT2 UCSD stick on sensor for glucose monitoring
- Paul Lockington & Bryan O'Rourke ANT+ and Bluetooth Webinar
- Fossil's purchase of MisFit Wearables
- BLE Forum LinkedIn
- ANT+ Forum LinkedIn
- TRX Classes