Dr. Michael Mantell earned his Ph.D. at the University of Pennsylvania and his Masters at Hahnnemann Medical College, where he wrote his thesis on the psychological aspects of obesity. His career includes serving as the Chief Psychologist for Children’s Hospital in San Diego, and as the founding Chief Psychologist for the San Diego Police Department. He served on the faculty of UCSD’s School of Medicine, Dept. of Psychiatry, and as an Senior Executive Organizational Leadership Consultant for many top-tier companies in the US and abroad.
He is the Director of Transformational Coaching at the Premier Fitness Camp at Omni La Costa, and previously was the Senior Fitness Consultant for Behavioral Sciences at the American Council on Exercise. As a member of the Science Advisory Board of the International Council on Active Aging, Dr. Mantell is a 3x best-selling author, an international behavior science presenter and keynote speaker, and Advisor to numerous fitness-health related organizations.
After more than 40 years of diagnosing and treating individuals and couples with mental illness, he now provides advanced transformational leadership and behavior agility coaching/mentoring for sustainable strategic outcomes in mindful, values driven and positively adaptive ways to business leaders, entrepreneurs, athletes, couples, individuals, families and organizations to reach breakthrough levels of success and significance in their professional and personal lives.
He is a regular contributor for many TV and radio programs and is a nationally sought after behavioral science coach for business leaders, athletes, individuals and families. He is listed in the greatest.com's 2013 “The 100 Most Influential People in Health and Fitness.”
Listen To Episode 006 As Dr. Mantell Uncovers
- How Behavior Change integrates with the fitness industry as part of Dr. Mantell's "Optimal Sphere of Wellness"
- How technology will help fitness trainers keep their clients more complaint when combined with behavior change
- How Dr. Mantell sees robots working along with trainers in health clubs
- Technology's role for the fitness consumer "inner-stance vs. outer circumstance"
- Why the data is showing a shift from the role of personal trainers evolving into health coaches and what this means to health clubs
- The evolution of consumers paying for a gym membership, to a medical fitness center, to the new model of optimal health centers
- Why the fitness and health systems of the future will blend medical, health care, and fitness professionals to meet the onslaught of industrialized society.
- Learn about the "10 Cognitive Distortions" and how that relates to health clubs
- Understanding the drawbacks of "all of nothing" linear thinking
- How new advances in artificial intelligence will support both the wellness and fitness industry
- The role of robots in gyms, senior fitness, and active aging fitness groups
- How robots at Harvard are diagnosing emotional disorders
- How behavior change techniques will come from AI via planned social support
- Dr. Mantell's featured contribution in the 2017 FIT-C Tech Trends Report
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- For sustainable and successful behavior change using wearables, connected devices, and mobile apps, it isn't the technology, it's what the individual thinks about the technology. It's the individual's inner-stance about their digital circumstance. It is the preference and the perceived value of the device to the client that will elicit sustainable change.
- For health coaches, yesterday the gym was it. Today, it's the medical fitness center, but tomorrow, when everyone wakes up, the new model is going to be the optimal health center.
- Robots and artificial intelligence are now capable of diagnosing emotions in clients and Dr. Mantell predicts it is only a matter of time before robotics and artificial intelligence will work their way into health clubs. This modality has already been seen in active aging groups, small health groups, and in studies at Harvard.
Power Quotes From Dr. Mantell
"For health coaches, yesterday the gym was it. Today, it's the medical fitness center, but tomorrow, when everyone wakes up, the new model is going to be the optimal health center." - Dr. Michael Mantell on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"For sustainable and successful behavior change using wearables, connected devices, and mobile apps, it isn't the technology, it's what the individual thinks about the technology. It's the individual's inner-stance about their digital circumstance." - Dr. Michael Mantell on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From Dr. Mantell
- AI's and Psychiatrists: Dr. Ellie and DARPA
- Steven Kotler's work with AI and PTSD
- PFC Camp at La Costa
- Cognitive Behavioral Coaching
- The power of mindful leadership - Athletic Business Conference 2016
- Google mindfulness programs for employee wellness
- Steven Kotler - Flow Genome Project
- ACE behavior change courses
- The Link Is What You Think
- Dr. Mantell's book" "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff"
- Albert Ellis - A Guide To Rational Living
- Aaron Beck - Cognitive Therapy
- Marty Sellegmen - Learned Optimism