For episode 36 we are remembering the dynamic health and fitness career of our friend and industry leader, Michael Scott Scudder.
"As some of you may know, a very well-known fitness industry consultant passed away unexpectedly early in July. He was a dear friend of mine, and a dear friend of many people. He was a colleague that we respected for his trends, views, and research that he shared openly with the industry. For this podcast, we're sharing with you an interview that Michael and I did six years ago on what's happening to the fitness industry and what our thoughts were at the time. We're doing this in his honor because many people are mourning his loss, and we thought it would be a good thing to think back on all of the great things that he's done and reflect upon his views and mine of six years ago. Please keep Michael and his family in your prayers, he will be dearly missed." - Bryan O'Rourke
About Michael Scott Scudder
Michael spent over four decades in the fitness business as Salesperson, Trainer, Manager, Executive Director, Owner, Consultant/Advisor, Conference Speaker, Webcaster, Independent Fitness Facility Researcher. His energy and expertise supported building systems to help clubs become more successful and use internet technology to bring these web based strategies to the industry.
Michael began his MSS network as "Fitness Focus" in 1991. This morphed into Fitness Business Council in 2002 which eventually became MSS Network in 2012. HIs Network Donating Memberships presently represent more than 1,600 North American independent health and fitness businesses.
Some of Michael's Accolades:
- One of only 19 persons in "Who's Who in International Fitness."
- Named by "Club Industry" magazine as "an industry leader you ought to pay attention to."
- Consulted to/advised/mentored:
- 600+ health clubs of all sizes
- 50+ studios
- 60+ not-for-profits
- 100+ top industry leaders
- 8 states and 12 foreign countries
About Bryan O'Rourke
Bryan O’Rourke is a CEO, board member, advisor, keynote speaker, author and investor, who has successfully expanded global brands for over 30 years. He guides and works with many fitness and health club brands and serves on the IHRSA board of directors. He launched Vedere Ventures, a boutique private equity firm in 2016 and is President of the Fitness Industry Technology Councilwhich supports the Fitness + Technology Podcast . Check it out today. Get his recent book the 9 Partnership Principles written with his partner Robert Dyer and other top fitness industry leaders. Bryan also released with Europe Active the book Customer Engagement and Experience In The Fitness Sector. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com or follow him @bryankorourke .
Sign Up To Receive The Fitness Facility Technology Adoption Survey
The Fitness Industry Technology Council in concert with the late Michael Scott Scudder conducted a survey on fitness facility technology Adoption with nearly 1,600 facilities represented in the late Spring of 2017.
The report will be released via the fittechcouncil.org monthly newsletter.
Here are two findings: Only 30% of respondents think they have enough information to make educated decisions about technologies while 42% are not really concerned about falling behind to more technologically savvy competitors.
Quotes From Michael & Bryan
"Michael would stand on tables and scream at the various industry events where he was presenting at times because he cared so much. A few people thought he was crazy but he was also well connected and quite knowledgable. He could put things in context and always asked great questions. Our calls and talks sometimes were the stuff of William F. Buckley Jr.’s Firing Line; intellectual, rhetorical and quite stimulating if you like that sort of thing; I certainly did. He was also funny and we laughed often together. - Bryan O'Rourke, written in his LinkedIn post honoring Michael.
"There's something that many the veterans of this industry have known for a long time that works, and that is the 20/80 rule. Twenty percent of you customer-base is going to provide you with eighty percent or more of your ancillary revenue." - Michael Scott Scudder
Media & Articles About Michael Scott Scudder
- Fitness Business Canada: Fitness Industry Icon, and dear friend, gone too soon
- Bryan O'Rourke: Michael Scott Scudder Health Club Consultant and Maverick Passes Away
- Michael Scott Scudder: Health Club Operators Are Not Prepared to Serve the Growing Senior Market
- Michael Scott Scudder Had a Passion for the Fitness Industry and Its Future
- Michael Scott Scudder: Facility, Find Thy Niche!
- Michael Scott Scudder: Mastering Management
- Club Insider Online: Michael Scott Scudder Acquires Fitness Industry Group
- Michael Scott Scudder's LinkedIn Page
- Michael Scott Scudder's website
- YouTube Video: Where Is The US Health Club Industry Headed - August 2011
- YouTube Video: Technology & The Health Club Industry - August 2011
- Michael Scott Scudder: Faltering Independent Clubs a Sign of the Times
- Michael Scott Scudder Scholarship Purpose: To honor the life and professional career of Michael Scott Scudder by offering a MANIA® Convention FREE attendance to a worthy budding studio owner needing business advice and industry education. This scholarship is open to those who reflect the passion, high-standards and desire to succeed in the fitness industry set forth by Michael Scott Scudder. The applicant must have a strong commitment to continuing education in the fitness/wellness market.
Thanks To Our Outstanding Sponsors
- Bryan O’Rourke and his family of companies including Vedere Ventures, Integerus Advisors, and many more. If you are looking for unmatched guidance, capital, insights or a great speaker or facilitator, Bryan and his partners are the go to resource for your organization. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com
- The Fitness Industry Technology Council, your non-profit resource for reliable technology information supported by forward looking brands who are seeking to drive increased technology adoption in the fitness industry. Make a difference and join FIT-C at fittechcouncil.org today
- Check out Bryan and his partner Robert Dyer's recent book "9 Partnership Principles: A Story of Life Lessons" which is available now on Amazon.com