For episode 41, we're take a deeper dive into the ethical considerations of artificial intelligence inside and outside the fitness industry with expert guest John C. Havens and his work at the IEEE: a global technology organization with over a half million members in 160+ countries.
I know you're really going to enjoy this podcast with our expert guest in artificial intelligence, as one of the most requested topics during our IHRSA FIT-C roundtable discussion earlier this year was the technology considerations and policies for artificial intelligence and machine learning in outside industries that are effecting our space.
So whether you are a brand new listener to the show who is an owner, operator, or fitness pro interested in how artificial intelligence will empower you to serve your clients with more context, or you've been listening to the show for a while and will use the information you receive to help drive the change we need in our space, this podcast is delivering much more than just industry trends. It's giving a deeper look towards how artificial intelligence is changing our industry today and in the future.
Make sure to check your show notes by clicking on your show artwork right from your phone or head on over to www.fittechcouncil.org/podcast to take a deeper dive into the resources mentioned that are impacting your career.
With the exponential growth technology is driving in our space, what are the ethical considerations, governmental policies and regulations surrounding the use of artificial intelligence that will impact the fitness industry across the world?
The answer to that very big question and so many more takeaways for club owners, operators, and fitness pros in this episode with artificial intelligence ethics expert, John C. Havens.
About John C. Havens
John C. Havens is the Executive Director for the IEEE Global AI Ethics Initiative: A Global Initiative for Ethical Considerations in Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems. He is a writer, speaker, activist and consultant focusing on the intersection of technology and culture. John aims to help people increase their wellbeing by taking a measure of their lives.
Listen To Episode 041 As John Uncovers
- Understanding the impact and modern day definition of AI:
- Cognitive Computing
- Machine Learning
- Deep Learning
- AGI and ASI: Artificial General Intelligence vs. Artificial Super Intelligence
- Why successful wearables combined with AI enable not distract the fitness consumer
- Why John believes that simplicity of design is the most powerful benefit of AI
- Privacy and personal data: understanding the implications and guidelines for AI
- Why John believes that augmented reality and artificial reality will combine with artificial intelligence to help grow revenue and customer experience in the fitness industry
- Understanding "choice or consent policy" when opting into SaaS solutions
- Understanding Affective Computing: AI and machine learning being designed to measure human emotions
- Why club operators must pay attention to the 2018 EU data policy that will affect the fitness industry
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- For our club owners that serve members outside of the United States in 2018, the European Union General Data Protection Regulation Act is the most important change in data privacy regulation we seen in 20 years. Be sure to click in the resources section below to learn more about how this will affect your fitness business.
- John reminds us that we look at artificial intelligence one of the key factors to consider in how our fitness industry will benefit is by allowing the user experience to be as simple as possible. In a world of multiple data sets and limitless wearable devices, John believes that will separate the great fitness companies from the good is how they will use AI to achieve the most intuitive and simplistic user experiences for their customers.
- Regardless of how much you already know at the intersection of machine learning and artificial intelligence, the time to take a serious look at this technology was yesterday. Be sure to contact the Fitness Industry Technology Council by heading over to the website or sending us a message on Facebook if you have any questions about how this technology integrates into your business so you can serve your customers in the age of exponential technology.
Power Quotes From John
"No data lives in isolation, and for HIPAA and any other regulations especially in the USA, we have no access to our data. This is not to put down any app creator or organization, because I am a huge proponent for AI, but data access should be up to the individual." - John C. Havens on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"Well-being can be a confusing term because a lot of people associate well-being with mood, while other people will know there is more of a fitness oriented aspect to well-being as an industry. In the economics of well-being there are indicators like the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals OECD or for environmentalists the Happy Planet Index." - John C. Havens on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From John
- John C. Havens on the web
- John C. Havens books on Amazon
- John C. Havens on Twitter
- John C. Havens on Linkedin
- John C. Havens on Mashable
- John C. Havens on The Guardian
- IEEE on facebook: Advancing Technology For Humanity
- IEEE on Twitter
- IEEE on LinkedIn
- The Cult of Biohacking: Outside Magazine
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- The Ethics of Using AI in Advertising
- Top 10 Artificial Intelligence Companies In Health and Fitness
- Fitness Tracking on your Finger
- Facebook Shuts Down AI Program
- Google Deep Mind
- Moore’s Law
- Rock My Run
- Ethically Aligned Design: Prioritizing Wellbeing for Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems Webinar
- Data Policy that will effect the fitness industry: GDPR - European Policy
- IEEE P7006
- IEEE P7008 “Nudging”
- Go - AGI story
- Term of Adhesion: In Law Practice
- Craig Bradley: Fitness + Technology podcast
- Bobby Cappuccio: Fitness + Technology Podcast Episode 027
Thanks To Our Outstanding Sponsors
- Bryan O’Rourke and his family of companies including Vedere Ventures, Integerus Advisors, and many more. If you are looking for unmatched guidance, capital, insights or a great speaker or facilitator, Bryan and his partners are the go to resource for your organization. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com
- The Fitness Industry Technology Council, your non-profit resource for reliable technology information supported by forward looking brands who are seeking to drive increased technology adoption in the fitness industry. Make a difference and join FIT-C at fittechcouncil.org today
- Check out Bryan and his partner Robert Dyer's recent book "9 Partnership Principles: A Story of Life Lessons" which is available now on Amazon.com
Become A FIT-C Podcast Sponsor
- Contact the Fitness Industry Technology Council to become a Podcast Sponsor
- Review our various options for Sponsorship
- Send us a Facebook Message