On this podcast we explore the deeper impact of the 2017 fitness industry technology trends and beyond in this era of exponential growth with the President of the Fitness Industry Technology Council, Bryan O’Rourke, for a special featured podcast from the FIT-C webinar recorded LIVE just days ago.
With technology becoming not just a thing we use, but something we will become with no boundaries, Bryan reminds us that if we can think it, it can be. Yet even with all the technology that is creating more opportunity in and out of the fitness space than ever before, we also must understand the unforeseen consequences that tech is producing and how we can adapt to transcend the negativity around those changes.
You’ll learn why Bryan believes we are in the "knee of the curve" when it comes to rapid adoption and creation of new exponential tech, how this relates to the 4 key driver dynamics of why technology must serve specific purposes for business including omnipresence, personalized service, sustainability, and aesthetic UX design.
Bryan also uncovers how Amazon is using data points, cognition, algorithms, and how this effects a new paradigm of value creation when look at our older paradigms that were less data centric.
From AI coaching, Habit DNA based customized eating plans, ELF mindfulness tech, AI Therapy, Augmented reality and so much more, Bryan spotlights how the fitness industry can leverage these new technologies to deliver higher value business models that support growing our industry, and why he believes we will shift away from the negative consequences of technology to ubiquitous delivery that makes tech more like the air we breathe, more powerful, and more able to impact our fitness business than ever before.
About Bryan O'Rourke
Bryan O'Rourke is an experienced CEO, strategist, investor and advisor who helps organizations and professionals realize their full potential and solve their biggest challenges.
With a track record of building teams and growing global brands, his network of associates and partners have served organizations large and small. His present focus is on fitness, wellness, health clubs, technology, innovation, finance, marketing and business development, but his expertise and consultancy extends to a number of disciplines and industries. As an executive and owner in multiple companies he is also President of the non-profit Fitness Industry Technology Council, driving innovation and collaboration the fitness space.
He is considered a leading expert on technology, consumer and business trends and his views have been published in periodicals like the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, Inc. Magazine, CBI and many others. IHRSA named him one of 13 to watch in 2013. Bryan has contributed to two significant books on Innovation in the fitness sector. He delivers engaging customized keynotes and strategic working sessions and is a highly sought after speaker and facilitator who has delivered his message at industry conferences and organizational events on four continents.
Listen To Episode 048 As Bryan Uncovers
- The unintended consequences that arise from technology
- Putting technology into historical context
- Why we are close to the exponential curve of technology adoption exploding at a rapid pace
- The importance of technology being able to serve people wherever and whenever they choose
- Technology's impact & the Old Paradigm vs. the New Paradigm of Value Creation for organizations:
- Data points and information
- Cognition and learning
- Dollars and transactions
- How the new age of products and services are more interrelated than ever before
- How businesses are using data collection to increase revenue and improve the user experience
- Exploring the 4 Quadrants of user model context:
- Personalized service
- Aesthetic UX design
- Technological improvements in the world of nutrition
- Using biofeedback and measuring activity in the brain to help you create a desired state of mind
- The increasing functionality of sensors being built into phones
- How AI is affecting the fitness space
- The augmented reality that's been built in the iPhone 8
- The technology that is detecting medical conditions before they become problemtatic
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- Bryan believes that developing Omnipresence will be the key to our success in the digital world. Whatever we do as an industry should have a physical, digital, and hybrid version. To truly lead in the era of exponential technology our products and services need to be available wherever and whenever our customers and communities choose to participate.
- When it comes to services, Bryan's guidance and research shows that technology must be extremely relevant, contextualized, and personalized to the user. The more personalized it is, the more valuable it is.
- It's critical to keep the user experience in mind, especially in such a high touch and intimate setting like the fitness space. The user experience must be beautiful, simplistic, and frictionless. When we look through the lens of technology, we must see it as a tool to apply the four key drivers for all organizations including omnipresence, personalized service delivery wherever and whenever, aesthetic UX design with frictionless use, and lastly sustainability. Bryan reminds us we are at the precipice of a mass adoption at the "knee of the curve" and now is the time to explore how this will transform all the operations both inside and outside of your fitness business.
Power Quotes From Bryan
"We're moving to an evolution of technology being ubiquitous to the point that it's like the air we breathe." - Bryan O'Rourke on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"Mindfulness is a rapidly growing area and a counterbalance to how technology has overtaken many of our lives" - Bryan O'Rourke on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"Many of the service personnel will soon be robotic. This technology is already here and will become mainstream in the next 5-10 years." - Bryan O'Rourke on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From Bryan
- YouTube Video: The Latest In Fitness Technology
- Bryan O'Rourke - SlideShare
- Bryan’s Twitter Account
- 2017 FIT-C Technology Trends Report
- Join FIT-C as a valued member
- Google Results for Bryan O’Rourke
- Club Industry Show - Chicago (Oct. 4-6)
- 17th Annual IHRSA European Congress - London (Oct. 23-26)
- Homo Deus: Yuval Noah Harari
- The Inevitable by: Kevin Kelly
- Life 3.0 by: Max Tegmark
- Blue Apron
- Somadome meditation pod
- Vi from LifeBEAM
- iPhone 8 MLB augmented reality
- Motiv Ring
- Google Home
- Whole Foods
- Pepper AI Robotics
- ZWIFT Cycle
Thanks To Our Outstanding Sponsors
Bryan O’Rourke and his family of companies including Vedere Ventures, Integerus Advisors, and many more. If you are looking for unmatched guidance, capital, insights or a great speaker or facilitator, Bryan and his partners are the go to resource for your organization. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com
The Fitness Industry Technology Council, your non-profit resource for reliable technology information supported by forward looking brands who are seeking to drive increased technology adoption in the fitness industry. Make a difference and join FIT-C at fittechcouncil.org today
Check out Bryan and his partner Robert Dyer's recent book "9 Partnership Principles: A Story of Life Lessons" which is available now on Amazon.com