Tune In @ 20:25 For Featured Guest: Joni Kettunen, CEO - Firstbeat
Mr. Joni Kettunen, PhD, is a pioneer in physiological analytics and its applications. He is leading Firstbeat at the cutting edge of heartbeat analytics for wearables, fitness devices, wellbeing services and professional sports. As of today, Firstbeat analytics is used by hundreds of elite sports teams, thousands of corporations, and millions of consumers to improve their performance and wellbeing.
Before founding Firstbeat in 2002, Joni has done and published research in the areas of psychophysiology, behavioral medicine, autonomic nervous system function and stress quantification. Joni received his PhD from the Department of Psychology at the University of Helsinki in 1999.
His vision for incorporating heartbeat analytics and wearable technology has placed Firstbeat at the cutting edge of the industry. On this show, you’ll learn about how coaches and trainers are using Firstbeat’s technology to train clients with precision heart rate variability, otherwise known as HRV. Joni is going to share with us how GARMIN is using this technology combined with virtual coaching for athletes and everyday fitness users to support wellbeing and superior performance by tracking much deeper than just steps and sweat.
Listen To Episode 012 As Joni Uncovers
- What is Firstbeat?
- How Firstbeat models HRV with 20+ phases of heart rate data for actionable use from coaches and trainers
- How to provide actionable and individual feedback for stress or fitness training or sleep recovery
- How to model heart rate variability and stress in real life
- Why using HRV gives a “direct view” into the parasympathetic vagal system, which is strongly related to the recovery systems in the body
- HRV for coaches in person and virtually
- GARMIN HRV devices using training
- Why Firstbeat has grown to 90 people on staff with 20 exercise physiologists alone
- Understanding the GARMIN Fenix 3
- Understanding the Jabra Elite Sport Headphones
- The challenges for the sensor technology
- How HRV and 24/7 digital systems in corporate wellness systems are being used to optimize wellness
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- Joni believes it's no longer enough to simply capture and measure data. Whatever you are doing, the wearable needs to provide accurate, consistent, and meaningful feedback that is actually useful. It is now understood by the technology sector that serves the fitness, wellness, and corporate wellness settings that collaborating together to do better is paramount.
- Firstbeat’s accurate heart rate variability (HRV) based measurement and personal diary provide a window to a client’s well-being. This real personalization via HRV and biometric data is allowing greater coaching and lifestyle modification along the wellness journey.
- Based on decades of research and work with professional athletes, Firstbeat has created a professional grade coaching tool that helps their clients manage stress, enhance recovery and exercise based off of data that matters.
Power Quotes From Joni
"At any given time there are 15 to 20 different processes in our body that influence our heart rate. We detect those, and out of that we can compose a model of the physiology itself. Once we know what's happening in the body, we can provide much more actionable and insightful feedback for stress, training, fitness level, or sleep recovery." - Joni Kettunen on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"It's no longer enough to simply capture and measure data. Whatever you are doing with the wearable needs to provide accurate, consistent, and meaningful feedback that is actually useful. It is now understood by our peers that in the fitness, wellness, and corporate wellness settings we must come together to do better." - Joni Kettunen on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From Joni
- Firstbeat Technology
- Stress and recovery analysis method based on 24 hour HRV
- Whitepaper: Firstbeat method, subjective stress was directly associated with objective stress and inversely with objective recovery
- GARMIN Fenix 3
- Jabra Elite Sport True-Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Earbuds
- Wellness Professionals one professionals that use 24/7 dashboards
- Firstbeat is powering over 70 consumer devices to produce meaningful insights for training + wellbeing
- Firstbeat on twitter
- Firstbeat on facebook
- Firstbeat on Youtube
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact FIT-C for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
- Download the 2017 Tech Trends report
Thanks To Our Outstanding Sponsors
Bryan O’Rourke and his family of companies including Vedere Ventures, Integerus Advisors, and many more. If you are looking for unmatched guidance, capital, insights or a great speaker or facilitator, Bryan and his partners are the go to resource for your organization. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com
The Fitness Industry Technology Council, your non-profit resource for reliable technology information supported by forward looking brands who are seeking to drive increased technology adoption in the fitness industry. Make a difference and join FIT-C at fittechcouncil.org today
Check out Bryan and his partner Robert Dyer's recent book "9 Partnership Principles: A Story of Life Lessons" which is available now on Amazon.com