For the second half of our featured series "LIVE from IHRSA 2017," we're learning from two fitness technology professionals in different parts of our industry spectrum. In this doubleheader episode recorded live after the FIT-C roundtable session, we explore two important topics that make a direct impact to your fitness business.
First up is Geoffrey Little, President of GSL Consulting, to learn about the fast growing segments in both group and boutique fitness operations; specifically the opportunities for monetization and service in the youth market and sports performance.
Geoffrey worked at MINDBODY for 11 years, from early days through the 2015 IPO and is now a consultant to both vendors and operators in the fitness, wellness and education sectors and works with clients such as Virtuagym, who are exhibiting here at IHRSA.
Prior to MINDBODY, he worked in television documentary and media, covering naGo nature, science and technology, working with Time magazine, National Geographic, IMAX, and public TV.
Listen To Episode 022 As Geoffrey Uncovers
- What’s next for the boutique or studio business
- What are the financial and service gaps to be found in the youth and sport performance markets
- The history of mind-body software from the beginning and what club operators can learn from their success
- What does the VirtuaGym technology do for the bottom line of the clubs and member experience
- How to identify new flourishing segments of the boutique and studio space changing over the next two years
- Why on the studio side, 20 to 30% year-over-year growth is continuing and what are the factors of how it may stall
- Exploring the youth sports market and sports performance markets for children and adolescents, and how the spending habits of parents correlate
- How Goeffrey used years of media experience to be a valued consultant to the fitness industry
- What needs to be top of mind in regards to technology for club owners
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- Geoffrey reminds us that golden opportunities are still out there with many more to come when looking at the growing space of boutiques, studios, and specifically sports performance and youth market styled facilities.
- With the millions of parents across the country and even more globally, the opportunities that exist for new delivery models in fitness are reflected by the data from the spending habits of health minded and caring parents who are seeking both youth sports and athletic training experiences for their children and adolescents.
- Beyond yoga, cycling, and group fitness classes where the parents can get a dynamic experience enhanced through technology, that same construct can and will apply to the facilities in the future that serve both families as well as individuals.
Power Quotes From Geoffrey
"In the FIT-C Roundtable, I shared how I've been waiting for over a decade to see this growth. I've been anticipating some of the giants to come into the business, which is going to continue to grow in both the studio and boutique, and this has now picked up the attention of Google and other big players. They are going to make the ground shake." - Geoffrey Little on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"The youth market is almost completely separate from the health club market, however, health clubs could benefit with younger children as members. When we look across the data, a youth market that's really booming and getting the investment money right now is sports performance." - Geoffrey Little on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From Geoffrey
- IHRSA 2017
- Geoffrey on LinkedIn
- Sebastian Thrun: Inventor of the Driverless Car
- Orange Theory Fitness
- Redline Youth Sports
- Parisi Speed School
- Soccer Shots
- I9 Sports
- iClass Pro
- Todd Durkin
- Body Evolver Data Hub
- Parents spending habits for youth sports
- The 2017 FIT-C Tech Trends Report
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact FIT-C for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
- Download the 2017 Tech Trends report
Thanks To Our Outstanding Sponsors
Bryan O’Rourke and his family of companies including Vedere Ventures, Integerus Advisors, and many more. If you are looking for unmatched guidance, capital, insights or a great speaker or facilitator, Bryan and his partners are the go to resource for your organization. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com
The Fitness Industry Technology Council, your non-profit resource for reliable technology information supported by forward looking brands who are seeking to drive increased technology adoption in the fitness industry. Make a difference and join FIT-C at fittechcouncil.org today
Check out Bryan and his partner Robert Dyer's recent book "9 Partnership Principles: A Story of Life Lessons" which is available now on Amazon.com