Tune in at 16:40 to listen to featured guest, Josh Donovan of GIVE Fitness
On episode 21 we're spotlighting a few exceptional conversations with some of the top influencers at the crossroads of fitness and technology, live after the FIT-C roundtable meeting during IHRSA 2017 in Los Angeles. In this featured segment we're talking with the Owner of GIVE Fitness in Atascadero, CA Josh Donovan about technology focused member sales and engagement approaches that are changing the way for-profit and nonprofit businesses interact in health and fitness.
Josh is a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and 13-year fitness industry professional who years ago was looking for a way to use his experience and understanding of the fitness industry to “create a different type of fitness product” with a focus on using technology. After meeting Matt Holguin, the founder of Working to Give (WTG), a for-profit company with a singular purpose-driven business model, together, Donovan and Holguin created WTG’s Fitness Division and in 2013, launched GIVE Fitness.
With Working To Give, 50% of its profits are reinvested in the firm to sustain growth, and the other 50% is contributed to the local community. Since its opening, the GIVE Fitness club has acquired over 3,000 members and donated more than $50,000 to Atascadero-area initiatives. A member of the Fitness Industry Technology Council, Josh Donovan believes it’s important for the industry to integrate technology into the prospect and member experience to truly connect with consumers to understand them at their deepest needs and desires.
Listen To Episode 021 As Josh Uncovers
- What Josh has learned over the past three years when it comes to understanding what technologies help club operations the absolute most.
- Why GIVE Fitness is a "cashless environment" with no membership staff or sales team and why all sales are integrated through the website.
- How to use technology to change the way for-profit businesses and nonprofit businesses interact
- How to sustain nonprofit efforts combined with profitable health clubs in the fitness industry
- Why being fluid and flexible when creating a culture in your health club is paramount
- Why using social media in real time is a powerful tool for transparency and trust ability
- Understanding the GIVE Fitness mission: “To exceed member expectations at every opportunity with fitness facilities that are maintained, affordable, accessible and safe.”
- Why giving members something they truly can belong to will increase revenue and lower attrition
- With the obesity epidemic in our country, why the GIVE Fitness ownership deemed it imperative to open up the market in order to make fitness more accessible and affordable to the community of Atascadero.
- On a larger scale, why GIVE Fitness has established a vision to “Transform the fitness industry by becoming pillars in the communities in which we conduct business. We will do this by generously donating 50% of our profits to programs that strengthen personal character, create value in people and provide opportunities for personal growth.”
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- Josh believes that you don't use people to get things, you use the things to help people. It's important to understand what your members want and what your members need. The first step when selecting and in using any piece of technology is to have a grasp on who you're serving and why they want you to serve them.
- Josh and his business partner Matt are demonstrating that it is possible and profitable to have both a non-profit and for-profit business model using technology to thrive in our ever-changing fitness space. By providing an accessible fitness center for real people to come in, and driving sales through a cashless environment, this outside the box thinking has produced great results for GIVE Fitness.
- With transparency in business for both nonprofits and for profit companies, in working together they must have a focus on communicating to staff that with all the technology devices out there, how do they use them to really help members? Because this entire process, in the end, is all about the member experience.
Power Quotes From Josh
"The heart of our business at GIVE Fitness is giving. We give 50% of our profits back to the community where we do business, so in order for that to happen we have to be a profitable fitness center first. Hitting member expectations and exceeding them becomes paramount because that has to happen before we have any funds to give. The obesity epidemic is real and it's something that I'm really passionate about. This is why I want to provide an accessible fitness center for people to better their lives, add years to their lives, and truly participate." - Josh Donovan on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"In using new technologies, we had the unique opportunity in starting from the ground up to be intentional around creating our culture and to have it be something very specific. We all live in a world that's real time, so if I post something on Facebook about the gym and then post something about my personal life, our members don't see any differentiation around that." - Josh Donovan on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From Josh
- Josh Donovan "Rising Star" selection by IHRSA
- Working To Give Company - Matt Holguin
- GIVE Fitness - Atascadero, CA
- GIVE Fitness Three Year Anniversary - Atascadero, CA
- Fitness + Technology Podcast With Robert Dyer
- Fitness + Technology Podcast With Lindsey Rainwater
- ABC Financial
- The 2017 FIT-C Tech Trends Report
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact FIT-C for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
- Download the 2017 Tech Trends report
Thanks To Our Outstanding Sponsors
Bryan O’Rourke and his family of companies including Vedere Ventures, Integerus Advisors, and many more. If you are looking for unmatched guidance, capital, insights or a great speaker or facilitator, Bryan and his partners are the go to resource for your organization. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com
The Fitness Industry Technology Council, your non-profit resource for reliable technology information supported by forward looking brands who are seeking to drive increased technology adoption in the fitness industry. Make a difference and join FIT-C at fittechcouncil.org today
Check out Bryan and his partner Robert Dyer's recent book "9 Partnership Principles: A Story of Life Lessons" which is available now on Amazon.com