Bryan O’Rourke serves as president of the Fitness Industry Technology Council, a consortium of leading companies working on technology standards for health and wellness. These organizations collectively serve more than 1,000 fitness facilities, dozens of organizations and more than 5,000 instructor professionals. Bryan is an entrepreneur, investor and former club owner who has worked in the health club and fitness industry with his partners for 18 years. He has presented as a keynote speaker at industry and corporate conferences on four continents.
He is widely published and quoted in periodicals such as Inc. Magazine, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, and was recently recognized as one of the top 17 most influential entrepreneurs on Twitter. IHRSA named him one of 13 to watch in 2013. Bryan has recently contributed to a newly released book with other European thought leaders titled "Essentials of Motivation and Behavior Change."
He is a cancer survivor and underwrites a variety of causes pertaining to cancer prevention and those impacted by the disease.
Listen To Episode 017 As Bryan Uncovers
- Attend Bryan's speaking events at IHRSA 2017:
- *Thursday 3/9, 11:30am PST - Technology Networking Roundtable
- *Thursday 3/9, 3:30pm PST - Multimedia Presentation: "Poised For Expansion" How the industry will grow 300% in the next decade
- *Friday 3/10, 7:40am PST20 Minute Presentation: Disruptive Innovation, Capitalizing on Wearables
- With so much change in our industry space, what is the optimal mindset for club owners and operators to best capitalize with new technologies?
- What smart club operators and owners can look forward to at the FIT-C roundtable at IHRSA
- Why it takes a lot of discipline for club owners and operators to step outside where they are and think strategically while keeping in mind what is possible in the near term and today
- What Bryan believes to be the best way to plan an effective and meaningful schedule at IHRSA
- Why the top brands will begin to morph into a dynamic of measuring receptors of data and cognition and intelligence
- Why 96% of the world's fortune 500 companies lost market share in 2016 and why this disruption is happening
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- The term wearables is really just a misnomer as we move into the space of hearables, ingestables, seeables, injectables and more. Yet the value is not really about the sensor, which is just the receptor, the real value is how we use the platforms that take that data and create user experiences in new ways.
- The reinvention of the customer is proving that the greatest business models in the fitness and health club industry over the next 10 years haven't been invented yet.
- One way that many businesses and industries have traditionally measured success was by the number of users, members, and revenue per transaction. Bryan believes we are now going to see that space shift increasingly to the drivers of the most successful and fastest growing brands morphing into a dynamic of measuring both the receptors of data, and cognition and intelligence.
Power Quotes From Bryan
"Everyone has a voice for how they best connect with their communities. What’s most important for all of us in the age of exponential technology is asking the right questions and understanding that we're all perpetual newbies in this world of interconnection." - Bryan O'Rourke on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"One way we used to measure success in our businesses and industries was around the number of users, members, and revenue per transaction. We are now going to see the space shift increasingly to the drivers of the most successful and fastest growing brands morphing into a dynamic of measuring both the receptors of data, and cognition and intelligence." - Bryan O'Rourke on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From Bryan
- Bryan's Website
- Bryan on Twitter
- Bryan on facebook
- IHRSA trade show 2017 Los Angeles
- Use Twitter and Instagram #IHRSA2017 for event updates
- FIT-C Roundtable at IHRSA
- Kevin Kelly's Book "The Inevitable"
- For IHRSA & Health Clubs The Opportunity Of An ERA Is Here With Passage of #PASSPHIT
- 2017 Forbes Top Technology Trends
- The 2017 FIT-C Tech Trends Report
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact FIT-C for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
- Download the 2017 Tech Trends report
Thanks To Our Outstanding Sponsors
Bryan O’Rourke and his family of companies including Vedere Ventures, Integerus Advisors, and many more. If you are looking for unmatched guidance, capital, insights or a great speaker or facilitator, Bryan and his partners are the go to resource for your organization. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com
The Fitness Industry Technology Council, your non-profit resource for reliable technology information supported by forward looking brands who are seeking to drive increased technology adoption in the fitness industry. Make a difference and join FIT-C at fittechcouncil.org today
Check out Bryan and his partner Robert Dyer's recent book "9 Partnership Principles: A Story of Life Lessons" which is available now on Amazon.com