Tune in at 16:05 to hear from our featured guest, Kalen Pino of Virtuagym.
For the second half of our featured series "LIVE from IHRSA 2017," we're learning from two fitness technology professionals in different parts of our industry spectrum. In this doubleheader episode recorded live after the FIT-C roundtable session, we explore two important topics that make a direct impact to your fitness business.
With the mass of technology solutions now available for clubs, what customized software solutions will really help fitness facilities maximize the use of applications and mobile in both new member integration and in providing unforgettable member experiences?
In supporting and servicing over 4000 facilities, Kalen Pino, the US Sales Manager of Virtuagym, unpacks the common approaches, best practices, and experience from thousands of conversations with club owners about what’s really working from a technology perspective. He also shares how to create the right ecosystem that incorporates both a real benefit for the club while taking into account the functionality that the member actually wants.
Listen To Episode 022 As Kalen Uncovers
- What’s the deeper impact of the IoT for clients, members and virtual fitness technology
- How to properly listen to your members to elicit better service with the use of technology
- Why Virtuagym provides a truly different approach to club owners than other software solutions
- How to build the bridge between new technology implementation for a club owner from a mindset standpoint
- How to map out the customer journey and differentiate your club to establish "speciality" in your neighborhood
- How to address technology and change management with your staff
- The proper way to implement new technology systems into a busy health club
- What are the common roadblocks for new technology implementation
- Why there is "no sale without the story and no knockout without the set up" - Gary Vaynerchuck IHRSA keynote
- What a successful new member journey would look like when sourced digitally
- Using virtual coaching to establish greater client success rates when tied into a central hub system
- What to consider when looking at branded solutions: use a third party or deciphering when to build your own
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- Kalen believes that to find balance between what the gym wants from a business and operational standpoint and what the member really wants in function and service essentially starts with smart surveys, not immediate technology.
- Part of a new member orientation that most clubs are used to is walking around the member to show off the equipment and services on the fitness floor, but Kalen reminds us to also "show off the technology" and demonstrate how from the minute a member walks in the club they will notice the club's progressive use of mobile technology.
- No matter what software solution you’re tying in to club operations, having mobile technology for customers to pay membership dues and purchasing services like personal training and childcare are just the start. What separates the great clubs from the good are software systems that truly work with one another. As referenced from Gary Vaynerchuk’s keynote at the 2014 IHRSA we need to create a story and an experience to draw the members in build trust and then make the sale because there is no sale without the story and no knockout without the set up. Implementing the jab-jab-jab right hook model with the use of technology is sure to benefit the club and the customer for the long-term.
Power Quotes From Kalen
"Business within the fitness space is and always has been all about the people. The secret sauce of an organization and what they've done in order to be successful must now understand what new technology can amplify where they have already done an incredible job." - Kalen Pino on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"It all comes down to creating the right ecosystem. Whatever it is that you choose as your technology strategy, you must make sure that it's part of who you are as an organization and part of your DNA." - Kalen Pino on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From Kalen
- Virtuagym on facebook
- Virtuagym on Twitter
- Virtuagym on LinkedIn
- Gary Vaynerchuck
- Gary Vaynerchuk’s keynote at the 2014 IHRSA
- FIT-C Roundtable
- Virtual Coaching Virtuagym
- The 2017 FIT-C Tech Trends Report
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact FIT-C for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
- Download the 2017 Tech Trends report
Thanks To Our Outstanding Sponsors
Bryan O’Rourke and his family of companies including Vedere Ventures, Integerus Advisors, and many more. If you are looking for unmatched guidance, capital, insights or a great speaker or facilitator, Bryan and his partners are the go to resource for your organization. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com
The Fitness Industry Technology Council, your non-profit resource for reliable technology information supported by forward looking brands who are seeking to drive increased technology adoption in the fitness industry. Make a difference and join FIT-C at fittechcouncil.org today
Check out Bryan and his partner Robert Dyer's recent book "9 Partnership Principles: A Story of Life Lessons" which is available now on Amazon.com