Fitness technology is evolving and poised to play a critical role in the lives of tens of millions of individuals. The Fitness Industry Technology Council (FIT-C) is a ground-breaking new group of leaders representing innovative companies and organizations within the field of technology and across the fitness industry.
FIT-C is actively seeking members to join and collaborate working together to standardize the health and fitness technology industry to realize a seamless user experience with fitness equipment and device interoperability.
New technologies are converging to deliver total wellness solutions through data aggregation, social components and conveniences that transcend current industry standards (such as weight, body mass index (BMI), exercise and calorie tracking). Emerging technologies promise revolutionary access to comprehensive biometric data, activity level and behavioral patterns. In turn, users will be more engaged in personal fitness, behavior modification and better personal health monitoring.
It it the very precipice of unprecedented change and opportunity. FIT-C realizes that by joining forces with innovators and forward thinkers we can help develop a common networking solution that is affordable and adoptable. Combining resources will save development costs and standardization will move this industry forward. A networking solution leveraged across the multitude of applications being developed today and into the future.
Similar to the early beginnings of WI-FI standardization, the ultimate goal of FIT-C is to improve the user experience and mature the collection of real-time wellness data through the creation of interoperability standards for technology-based fitness devices and applications.
The four main FIT-C focus areas are:
- To combine and mobilize resources to drive the fitness industry forward, by minimizing the need for each organization to independently create proprietary solutions for each situation.
- To develop and promote technology standards for fitness equipment, third party applications, API and fitness devices which will encourage widespread adoption and seamless integration of useful data.
- To protect the intellectual property of current and prospective participants.
- To create an open forum, allowing all sectors of the health, fitness and technology industry to participate and eliminate the need for proprietary solutions
FIT-C members will meet virtually on the second Tuesday of each month. Virtual Session 1 will be held on October 14, 2014. and will be and introduction and overview with presenters Bryan O’Rourke (Integrus) and Dave Johnson (ECOFIT).
Session one topics will include:
- Group member introductions.
- “Networked Fitness” Technology and the health & fitness industry “an overview”.
- Workgroup agenda review, and S.M.A.R.T objective mapping for defining group outcomes.
T.F. Hodge once wrote, “When individuals and communities do not govern self, they risk being ruled by external forces that care less about the well-being of the village.” This holds true, as technological innovations are revolutionizing the way we live, no aspect of our modern lives will untouched. The fitness technology is broad in scope and impacts health and wellness like nothing else it must be standardized and governed from within for the good of all.
The revolution is here. It’s time to move.